Saturday 11 December 2010

Bertha's Beach

I've been out beachcombing with the conservation group along Bertha's Beach. We were driven down to the beach in 4x4's and from the surrounding scenery of dunes and grass with inland ponds I really had no idea what the beach was going to look like. But it was beautiful. Just miles and miles of flat silver grey sand, and the sand is very fine.
Our task was to collect litter. The youngsters had run off with all those picking up gripper stick things (d'you know the ones I mean?) which meant the grown ups had to wear gloves ... and because I had been mincing about ooohing and aaahing my gloves were like heavy duty cotton - and soon got very wet!
The surf was really noisy and I was thrilled to see some Commerson's Dolphins playing in the surf. Seriously, they were surfing! They were either riding the wave in to the beach, or dashing through the tunnel (just as the wave rolled to break) and only once did I see them leap out of the water. AWESOME.
We continued along the beach for a couple of miles and there they were - REAL penguins. They really are comical to watch coming out of the water. I walked up the dune to their colony - OMG do they stink! You really do smell them before you see them! They were nesting and I was lucky enough to see parents with eggs or chicks. I didn't get too close ... do you know how they deter intruders? They shoot pooh!