Friday 28 January 2011

Monday 24 Jan 11 – Mare Harbour

Didn’t really know what to expect and after having our safety briefing we were kitted out with padded, waterproof suits and life jackets. We were then walked outside to go aboard – a landing craft! This was going to be fun?? I had already forgotten whether my bum looked big in the suit and was more worried about being sea sick because this was a flat bottomed boat! I had been promised sightings of dolphins and seals so I was keeping my eyes peeled. We had a bit of an amble around Sniper Island and saw a seal in the water, tracking us as we walked along the shoreline. Then they had a bit of fun with the passengers… water was crashing over the front of the ramp and I couldn’t get my hood up. Try as I might it wasn’t happening and was tangled in the lifejacket. Both the guys were helping me now when an almighty wave came over the front and absolutely drenched me, yeah …wouldn’t worry about it now mate! I looked like a sea witch. Then they let us have a go at driving the boat. I got to do a donut and an emergency stop and bring her almost back to port before handing back to the experts. What a fab way to spend a Monday morning! Thanks to Micky, Manse and Tuna.