Sunday 9 January 2011

Saunders Island

This is the second largest offshore Island in the Falklands. I was given a lastminutedotcom invitation to go along to see the wildlife on Saunders Island. More than happy to oblige, not just because it would be a day out but I would get to see the King Penguins. The helicopter trip was a long one, I got to see a lot of helicopter! Some two hours flying, but seriously... what better way to see the scenery than from the air. The difference between East and West Falklands is quite dramatic, the West being more rugged and the landscape more hilly/mountainous. And to see the kelp beds from height was beautiful. The kelp is the colour of rust and very straggly and there are metres and metres and metres of the stuff but it is in shallow water, the colour of the water is turquoise and the kelp beds looked like something you would see through a kaleidoscope. We had a pleasant walk at tourist speed along a rocky road to The Neck. This little stretch of beach connects Elephant Point to Saunders Island and is a mecca for all four penguins. And I saw my first King Penguins. They are truly handsome birds, and there walk is very comical. I was able to get incredibly close and as they have no land predators they are remarkably tame. I saw a large creche of chicks being looked after by some adult birds so thought I would walk down towards the sea shore and take some pictures of them, but as I walked down their flank (at some distance I will add) they all began moving forward rolling like pebbles towards the sea. David Bellamy never appeared to have those problems when he was filming! Clearly not the Ninja I thought i was!!