Sunday 9 January 2011

Mount Harriet

Feeling inspired by the weather - blue sky, whispy white clouds and sunshine - I thought I would go up something... and plumped for Mt Harriet. I took another two ladies with me, promising them it would be a good walk. 
From the hard standing at the foot I couldn't see an obvious path so decided to attack from the side and walk up diagonally, the climb being more gradual. yeah, yeah... best laid plans. What I thought was a saddle turned out to be a plateau which hid quite a steep climb to the ridge - but hey, we are athletes in training so we were up for the challenge!
It felt good to climb and once we reached the ridge we made a beeline toward the memorial cross hidden amongst the rocks. 
Obviously the descent was much easier as we had the advantage of height. However, I wont be volunteering as a mountain leader just yet!
 Ascent - 891 ft. (For Dad - S 51.70846 degrees W058.01296 degrees)