Saturday 26 March 2011

Meeting with Radio Ham – 12 Mar 11

Dad had sent me a letter with a request. He had made contact with a radio ham on the Falkland Islands and wondered whether I could find the operator and confirm the contact. I’d planned a trip in to Stanley so, being as I was accompanied by a couple of guys from work, thought it would be safe to try to find the house. I soon found the street and, although not all the houses had their numbers clearly visible, the large antennae kind of gave the game away! Feeling brave I knocked the door and when the lady answered I burbled the story of Dad, the QSL confirmation and how I was ‘just passing’. Oh my goodness, the lady invited me and my two chums in for a chat. One of the guys is an electrician and was quite taken with all the wiggly amp kit in the shack. Lost on me, but I was taken with the view of Port Stanley from their living room window! And, you know me, I love a good natter.