Saturday 26 March 2011

A ride on the RIB – 15 Mar 11

The rigid inflatable boat is used for man overboard situations and for boarding parties. The guys need to be dressed in their dry suits and booted within 3 minutes in a man overboard situation. I had a little bit more time to put on the dry suit and boots, making sure I squeezed all the air out … didn’t want to look like an orca on the off chance that I went in!
Not being a fan of water I was being really brave in front of the navy guys who were taking us out… just how fast would this little boat go? Gingerly, I got on board and tried to look really casual when my picture was being taken, but what you can’t see is just how tight I was holding on, we really were close to the water! Now feeling very nervous.
The boat was moved very gently away from the mooring, now feeling even more nervous. Once on the open water she was opened up, now I was just plain old fashioned scared. Yep, scared enough to hold on with one hand to get his attention! I felt happier sitting on the inside of the boat rather than the side, probably because I had hold of his belt so if I went in, he would be coming with me!
I was given an opportunity to drive the boat. That was okay, but it wasn’t long before I spooked myself and thought I was going to flip her over because I had over steered! The wind had picked up a bit and there were some waves which meant that the RIB jumped the waves and came crashing down… a bit like stomach churning fairground ride but you get a drenching with salt water.
But it was good fun and despite my fear of open water I would do it again!