Saturday 26 March 2011

Pleasant Peak – 20 Mar 11

I’ve admired Pleasant Peak from afar and often thought “I wanna go up there”. Sunday was an incredibly mild day, considering that it’s autumn, and I was out in just a short sleeved t-shirt, today was the day!
I didn’t find the walk too steep but shied away from scrambling up to the memorial on the highest crop of rock because I was out on my own and didn’t want to tempt fate. I found out later that that cross was in memory of two fire fighters that had died.
I returned back to the road, following the direction of the ridge looking for somewhere less high to climb up – I know, a bit girlie but I so desperately wanted to get up high. I saw a second cross and made a beeline for it. This turned out to be a memorial to two men from 205 Signal Squadron and two members of the Army Air Corps killed in 1982.
As is the custom, I signed the book at the memorial and cleaned the brass plaques on the cross, being careful not to catch my reflection when taking this picture!